<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Moving to open source 

Well Here We Are With Open Source

I am writing this on a system with no Microsoft software on it at all. When I'm done with it I will post it to my 'blog' and then send it to my list via email. All running on a standard Intel box that you would normally expect to find using Windows 2000 or Windows XP. All of this software is free for the downloading.

I'm not going to tell you that there is no learning curve involved in getting all of this set up and going. There is. But that is what user groups and Elmers are all about. I still have a ways to go before I will be able to break the Microsoft ties entirely but I will be able to do it at home. Work is another matter. There I still have to deal with worrying about getting the latest worm or virus on my system and we do have some proprietary programs that are written only for Windows.

In the ham shack I have a number of software packages that currently are not available as open source but I am watching the web carefully for replacements to pop up. Hope springs eternal. If you see radio related software, especially for scanner listeners make sure to let us know on the Sunday night net. I'm off to bed as tomorrow is an early day.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?