<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 11, 2010

New from Yaesu 


As often happens while I was looking for something else I ran across that fact that Yaesu has a new radio in their line up. The dual band FT-350R.

As you know I have become a big fan of the Yaesu/Vertex line of VHV/UHF radios. I currently own four of them including an VX-7R hand held, FT-60 hand held, FT-2800M mobile and FT-7800 mobile. I have an Icom IC-2350H in the shack as well but like the feature set of the Yeasu radios much better. I think it is due to the fact that they tend to stay in the model of the Vertex commercial line for their ham rigs with the appropriate changes to firmware for frequency coverage and feature set.

The FT-350R seems to be a challenge to Kenwood with their TMD-710A which has always been a favorite of those that prefer digital modes. It looks that much like Chrysler used to do in the car market Yaesu has watched market place develop and what the consumers wanted and then jumped in with both feet intending to hit the mark harder than the competition. Having no experience with this radio I don't know if they have achieved this objective but looking at the specifications I like what they have come up with.

So if you are in the market for a dual band rig and you are involved in or thinking about getting involved in the digital modes you might want to give this one a look.

While I'm at it let me put in a shameless plug for one of the vendors that supports our largest local ham fest here in the Pittsburgh area. If you are looking to buy a new rig be it Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu consider placing your order with KJI Electronics. The Breeze Shooters Ham Fest is one of the largest in the Pittsburgh area and KJI has been very supportive of both the club and the ham fest. I like to return the favor when the chance arises.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?